Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Saturday Morning Pipe Dream

I enjoy the morning. I enjoy a leisurely breakfast where I can drink my coffee and read the paper. On a weekend morning, I am usually not be in a hurry to be some where and I enjoy relaxing in a peaceful house with my paper and coffee. I am coming to the realization that this ritual that I have come to cherish is a thing of the past. I don't want to admit it. I want to hold onto my pipe dream.

This morning, I was awakened by a screaming hungry toddler at 6:45 a.m. This is usually not the time my leisurely Saturday morning begins, but I bucked up and stumbled out of the bed. After tending to Max's bathroom needs and making Ben's breakfast, I made my coffee. Step one complete. I then started cooking my breakfast and retrieved the newspaper. I was that much closer to my relaxing morning. When Ben was done eating, I put him down to play outside of the gated kitchen. Of course he immediately started screaming because he wanted in the kitchen so he can play in the cabinets. When he realized that wasn't going to happen, he started playing his lets drive Mommy insane game with Max. This went on for a few minutes and luckily stopped as I got my breakfast ready and was sitting down to eat, drink and read. I was optimistic that I would at least have a few minutes of peace and I could keep the pipe dream alive. Then the drive Mommy insane game began again after which Ben decided to get underneath all the chairs and then scream when he was trapped. After he got bored with this, he decided to go upstairs and play toys. My spirit was renewed that I could enjoy my now slightly cold breakfast and luke-warm coffee. Then Max started. He wanted to be petted. He wanted to play. He wanted my attention! So, I ate the remainder of my breakfast in the fetal position atop my chair in order to keep Max from chewing my feet and scratching my legs. Finally, my husband got up and I was able to escape into the office and close the door where I was hoping to salvage a few minutes of a peaceful morning with my cold coffee. A short 60 seconds later, the door opens and in walks my husband with a toddler in his arms. I am giving up. I guess I will try again in 18 years. It was a nice dream...

No comments: