Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Mystery at Preschool

They cracked me up today! We were in the gym for recess. The gym is used for many different groups at the church and today it was a little messy from the evening before. There is a stage in the gym and we have instructed the children not to play past a certain point in front of the stage. This group of children kept going past the point and congregating in front of the stage deep in conversation. We asked them to go back several times but they kept drifting back to the front of the stage. Finally, I had to see what the fuss was all about so I went over to them and asked what they were doing. They told me that they had a mystery to solve. Mystery? I was intrigued so I started asking questions:

Me: What kind of mystery?

Kids: Well, there are clues on the stage.

Me: What clues do you see?

Kids: A jacket, two pairs of shoes, some empty drink cups and a tape player.

Me: What do you think about these clues?

Kids: Someone must be living up there!

Me: Really? Did you see anyone?

Kids: No, not yet, but we are looking. We think he is behind the curtain.

Me: I wonder who it could be?

This comment started a series of debates and they settled on this answer:

Kids: It must be the music teacher! There is a tape player on the stage and it plays music. Yes! The music teacher lives on the stage!

They were perfectly happy with this conclusion and ran off to play. Not only did they give me a good laugh, but they reminded me that in their brain, we live at the school.

1 comment:

debily said...

What? Wait...you dont???!
You can imagine what my students thought when I used to walk to school every day...and they found my backpack with my "walking clothes" and makeup case, curling iron, etc. in it...