Friday, January 9, 2009

My Child is Brainwashed by McDonalds

At about 5:30 this evening, I decided that I was hungry, tired and lazy and there was no relief in sight because my husband was in Abilene. I also had both of my children and Gerry's friend Will over. So, I thought that maybe we could go to McDonald's for dinner. I am a little health conscience and I watch what my family eats. Therefore, we never go there so it is a shocker to my children when it is suggested. I don't know about you, but aside for the fact it isn't very healthy, McDonald's is not my first choice when it comes to food. The older I get, the more often I suffer from the McGurgles.

At any rate, after asking Will's Mom if it was okay, I told the boys that we were going to McDonald's for dinner. You would have thought I told them we were going to Disney World. They were soooo excited- running through the house, pretending to faint, talking fast and loud about the toys they could have this week, etc... I was amazed at their response. So that got me to thinking. How has McDonald's brainwashed our children? When did this happen?

When I was a kid, I remember that I loved to go to McDonald's. I think that McDonald's and Burger King were the only restaurants that had the kids meal with the toy so that was a big draw for me. Other than that, I am not quite sure why I liked it so much. I could have been that I got my very own meal in a McDonald's-shaped box. Or maybe it was Ronald McDonald and his gang of friends- I remember those commercials on T.V. Now that I think about it- was I brainwashed too? I must not have been if I am not a lifetime lover of the place. Right?

So, now back to my question. How has my child been brainwashed? I watch T.V. and I do not recall seeing a recent McDonald's commercial. Are they in the schools? Is there something addictive to children about their food? Are there subliminal messages in the video games? I just don't get it. I would like to get to the bottom of this mystery....

2 comments:

debily said...

Okay, here's my psychoanalysis...
1) For years, they were the ONLY fast-food restaurant that was family-friendly in our area. They offered free cheeseburgers for "A" report cards.
2) It was a cool place for teenagers to work. And for a girl who adored her two older brothers, I couldn't wait until I was old enough to don the brown polyester suit and paper hat.
3) They were visible in the community, sponsoring little league teams and hosting car wash fundraisers. I soaped up many a car using an old pickle bucket from Burger King.

So, in my mind they were cool, they were fun, they liked kids. And then when I was in high school, McDonald's came out with the McDLT which was my all-time favorite burger.

Now for my kids, it's all about the toys. And the playlands. And they still get free cheeseburgers for "A" report cards.

Unknown said...

Well, I must have missed the report card thing because I never got any free cheese burgers! I high school, McDonalds and Taco Bell were the two places to be seen in my little corner of the world. I know that sounds lame but it does support your cool theory.