Sunday, November 30, 2008

Adkison/Miller/Weaver Thanksgiving

We have survived another holiday! This year's Thanksgiving was jam packed with visiting, cooking, crafts, cooking, entertaining children, cooking, shopping and cooking. As always, we prepared enough food to feed an army. We started cooking on Wednesday and finished shortly before the meal was served on Thursday.

We arrived at my parent's house on Saturday afternoon and watched the OU game with them. Sunday was spent at church for the most part. On Monday, we made our first trip to Lawton in order to buy all the craft supplies I needed for the crafts I had planned for all the kids. We also spent the afternoon making Turkey Treats (thanks Debbi for the recipe). Gerry thought it was fun until he got a little messy. Ben really wanted to help so I put him in his booster seat and handed him a cookie- the foundation of the turkey. Just as I was getting his rice krispie turkey body ready, he decided to eat the cookie. So that was that.

On Tuesday, we headed to Walmart to buy groceries. By the end of that shopping trip, I was not in the holiday mood to say the least. They ran out of canned yams and we waited about 30 minutes to check out. I had never seen a Walmart that packed with people! That afternoon, Ethan and Gerry made the turkey centerpiece for our table. They had a great time and were very proud of their art work.

Wednesday, my Mom and I got up and started cooking. We finished at about 4:00 that afternoon. I was exhausted and we hadn't even reached thanksgiving day! That evening, Ethan and Gerry made the place cards. They used their fingerprints to make turkeys on each card. Unfortunately, I failed to notice that the stamp ink was permanent ink. They had some colorful fingers for several days.

Finally, thanksgiving day arrived. We started cooking again. We managed to get the green beans out of the pot and safely into the serving bowl this year- last year was not so good for the green beans. Brad fried up a turkey and Lisa cooked a ham. I think we set a record for the amount of food we prepared! Our cousins Bill, Judy, Nadine and Shawn were able to join us. It was a lot of fun! Enjoy the pictures.

1 comment:

debily said...

So glad you could use the turkey treats recipe - yours came out so cute! Glad you survived the rats.